Korčula
Korčula
Korčula
Korčula

Korčula

Island of Korčula is a pearl of the Adriatic Sea. It is situated across from Pelješac and consist of villages Lumbarda, Žrnova, Pupnat, Račište and Čara. The city of Korčula is situated in the southeastearn part of Korčula. In the 4th century B.C. Greek colonizers named it Korkyra Melaina (black wood), and Romans called it Korkyra Nigra. The city was built on a tiny peninsula jutting into the Pelješac channel. It is surrounded by towers and walls and watched from afar, it looks like a city-fortress.

 

Korčula has a rich history, first being mentioned in 10th century. Croats inhabitated it in 9th century and called it Krkar. In 1001 it falls under the rule of Venice where it remained until the fall of the Republic of Venice in 1797. Later it fell under the rule of Austria, France and the Kingdom of SHS. Also, it came under Italian and German occupation and in 1944 it became a constituent part of Yugoslavia and later of Croatia.

 

Korčula had the Statute in the early 13th century, which regulated life in the medieval city, built by strict urbanistic rules. The town raster, based on a fishbone pattern, has been preserved until today. Korčula’s finest examples of residential and sacral architecture in Gothic-Renaissance style date back to the 15th and 16th century. Built from the stone from Vrnik and Korčula, almost all palaces and houses were adorned with bishop’s or noble coats of armes. The same attention was paid to the parks and squares maintenance and beautification. Marko Andrijić was one of the famous builders, and he built the bell-tower of the Cathedral of St Marco.

 

Marco Polo, a famous traveler and explorer in the 13th century and the first European to reach the Far East and China, is one of the most important historical figures from Korčula and his house has been turned into a museum. Main occupations at the time were shipbuilding and stonemasonry, famous around the world. In 1301 Korčula established the diocese and fraternities which had a significant religious, social and cultural influence. From the middle 18th century onwards, the Day of St. Todor has been celebrated on 29 July as the town’s day. However, Korčula’s patron saint is St. Marco. Over the last 500 years, Moreška, or the knight’s game has been one of the major attractions of Korčula. It used to be performed on the whole Mediterranean, but Korčula is the only town where it has been preserved until today. It follows the story of the conflict between the White King and the Red King, Osman and Moro, fighting for the love of Bula – the Red King’s fiancée. Kumpanija is a sword dance, performed in Vela Luka, Pupnat, Čara, Žrnov and Blato, which represents the fight between Korčula’s inhabitants and the pirates.

 

You can reach Korčula by a passenger boat from Viganj which operates 3 times a day both ways. Korčula is ideal for an evening of enjoyment, a walk or dinner, while during the day you can visit one of the beautiful beaches. There are excursion boats from the harbour to the isles of Badija and Vrnik, Lumbarda or the sandy beach Bilin žal, as well as bus lines which cover destinations on the island. If you want to go by car, the ferry line operates every 30 minutes from Orebić, 6km from Viganj. Additionally, there are passenger boats from Orebić to Korèula which connect to the catamaran for Split.

 

Korčula offers an abundance of restaurants and clubs, a summer movie theatre, a culture centre, as well as numerous museums, churches and galleries.

Security and conversion statement

The forecast for 42.96,16.73 by Wordpress Weather